Saturday, March 7, 2009

Blue Velvet (1986) ****1/2

David Lynch's Blue Velvet tells the tale of a college student (Kyle McLachlan) who upon coming home to take care of his ill father stumbles upon a human ear in a vacant lot behind his home. It's this ear that takes him on a ride that features a run down lounge singer, an all american high school sweetheart, and an icon of anger, violence and deviance.

And it is a wild ride in deed. Lynch has crafted a film that has a feel that's ala Hitchcock and all the great thriller directors. You sit there watching, dread in the pit of your stomach as you think that what these characters plan to do is not the right course of action. The "Don't go in there!" syndrome of cinema. Lynch throws us some great visuals while keeping the film as dark as its subject matter.

The main reason to take a look at this great flick is for Dennis Hooper's Frank Booth. Hooper plays this character in the over the top manner that only Dennis Hopper can dish out. His comeback performance for sure.

I watched Blue Velvet at 1AM after being awake for twenty hours. I was tired. I wanted to go to sleep, but I couldn't look away from the film. I knew that I couldn't sleep because I had to know where this was going to end.

A wild ride indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment