Tuesday, March 31, 2009

30 Days of Night (2007) **

I loved the premise for this film when I first heard about it- a town that's almost to the roof of the world and doesn't see the sun for 30 days is attacked by vampires. I loved this concept. I thought it was going to be a monumental film in the horror genre without sparkling vampires. Sadly, I was wrong.

The casting was alright. John Hartnett becomes more of a lead playing the sheriff who is leading the remaining inhabitants in survival against the blood thirsty creatures. Melissa George plays his estranged wife, so you know where that relationship is leading. The rest of the cast is filled in nicely. The problem is really in the execution of the idea.

Now I know that this was based on a comic book. I understand that. The problem I come up with is mainly the vampires. I went in expecting suave, elegant, Lugosi like vamps but am treated to a cross between Dawn of the Dead and I Am Legend. They just seemed so much like those creatures that my mind kept screaming "rip off". As a film this is a mildly acceptable piece that hinges more on horror than any actual tension. It's a film where you sit there wondering who's going to get sucked on (or devoured) next. An idea with so much promise that doesn't have any fuel in the tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment