Sunday, February 22, 2009

It;s time for people to be wrong...

It's late February and you know what that means! People are picking the wrong winners for the Academy Awards. I wasn't going to do a list this year out of protest for The Dark Knight or Christopher Nolan getting NOTHING, but I'm a bigger person and will throw out my picks. I'll be honest, I haven't seen most of these films so this is pure guess work. Anyway, here we go:

Best Picture: The best picture will be Slumdog Millionaire simply because of the obscene amount of hype surrounding it since the nomination. Take into account the Academy's "We can't have too many violent films win best picture" rule Slumdog will be the Forrest Gump of this decade*. Milk will be my runner-up and Frost/Nixon. I have no idea hoe Benjamin Button and the Reader made it on this list.

Best Director: Once again Danny Boyle will win via the hype machine for Slumdog. I can't give Gus Van Zant any credit for remaking Psycho ten years ago. Besides Ron howard for Frosat/Nixon, I don't understand why these guys were nominated.

Best Actor: This is a tough one, but I'm going to go for Mickey Rourke for the Wrestler. Penn's won one and a Rourke win would give people to watch the Oscars this year. Everyone else might as well pack it up.

Best Actress: I really liked Angeline Jolie in Changeling, but she may suffer from the Eddie Murphy syndrome**. Most are pulling for Kate Winslet, but I'm going to go out on a limb here. I'm going with Anne Hathaway for Rachel Getting Married. It's just a feeling.

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger. This is the only real guarantee not only for a great performance, but because the Dark Knight was snubbed. I will give kudos to Robert Downey, Jr. for Tropic Thunder. People thought I was crazy when I said he deserved an Oscar nod for that flick. Who's laughing now?

Best Supporting Actress: The big money is on Peleope Cruz for Vicki Christina Barcelona. I'm going with another wild card and picking Amy Adams for Doubt. No reason, just a feeling.

Best Animated Feature: They need to name this the Pixar Award. Wall-E will take the prize tonight.

So there they are. I'll pop on tomorrow night after the show to compare my picks with who actually won. Aloha.


* refers to the 1994 Academy Awards where Forrest Gump beat out Pulp Fiction and the Shawshank Redemption. The previous winners before it were Dances with Wolves (1990) Silence of the Lambs (1991) Unforgiven (1992) and Schindler's List (1993). The theory on violence says that after having two violent films win they will go in the oppsite direction this year.

**refers to the fact that Eddie Murphy was in theaters as Norbit last year during the Oscars. Jolie being incrap like Wanted could foil her odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment