Thursday, February 4, 2016

Straight Outta Compton (2015) ****




Going into Straight Outta Compton I already had a general idea of the history of N.W.A. I’m not a gangsta rap fan, but I was transitioning between childhood and angry teenager during the same time as their run and I watched MTV. I remembered the riots (there were always riots back then, no matter the genre) and I remember the death of Eazy E. I knew that Ice Cube left and formed Public Enemy. This film filled in those gaps.

This is your straight forward biopic and what’s most striking about it is the how the themes that have played out throughout the annals of music history continued to play out. As a whole, N.W.A. was a great unit that is torn apart by the oldest reason in the record business: money. And it’s not them fighting each other for it (not quite), but how yet another group of young stars is manipulated into giving up their rights because they’re naïve, while the agent or promoter, or the record executive lives high on the hog. That’s the typical story, but the layer that sits on top of that is the environment these guys came from and how they expressed it in their music, even to the point of having to take knocks from the police and competitors. The weight of this brave new world of gangster rap was on the shoulders of these young men.

I’m kind of leery when your subject matter is the producing the film and I think there were a few tid bits that were glossed over, but overall Straight Outta Compton is a great film that details the birth of a new art form as it shows us the business as usual attitudes of the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment