Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife (2009) *1/2

Take The Notebook and breed it with Back to the Future and you get this dreary love story cut from the cloth of Nicholas Sparks. Since I'm bringing up Sparks (even though he had nothing to do with this movie) you know someone is going to die. I'm not spoiling anything. He kills more men than cancer. The story is about a man (Eric Bana) who has a gene for time travels and since his last name isn't McFly or DeLorean it must be some kind of medical condition. He meets, falls in love, and marries Clare (Rachel McAdams) and the typical "my disease is ruining our marriage" plot kicks in.

This is a dull, over acted soap opera that is there to make you weep. Well, I didn't cry like a baby. I was yelling at the screen that Doc Brown and James Cameron told me that we have the ability to change out futures. Not in this movie. We're all fucked. Let's think about it for a minute *SPOILERS AHEAD********************************************************************************************************
If I knew when I was going to beam somewhere else and that I was going to be shot you would think I would have enough common sense to FALL TO THE GROUND!. I know I'm as naked as John Edwards on the road, but let's play the common sense game kids. Plus he shows up when his future wife is a little girl and that's Dateline creepy right there.*******************END SPOILER****************************************************************************************************

It's nice to see Peter Gibbons working again, but in the long run this is a milking opportunity, squeezing the teet of the Nicholas Sparks crowd. It's a dull, meandering experience that drowns in barely an inch of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment